July 09, 2008

i'm always gonna show up.
a few months ago i stayed overnight at brandon and erica's place. erica was deeply engrossed in the third season of Grey's Anatomy, and so against my better judgment, i joined in.

there was part of one episode that has stuck with me since seeing it in April.

Meredith and Derek have an argument, because Meredith unknowingly endangers Derek's opportunity to become Chief of Surgery by letting another contender know that the position is available. Derek is angry at Meredith, and yells at her for telling anyone else about the opening. Meredith leaves the hospital alone that evening and goes home. Derek shows up at her place.

D: You left without me.
(awkward look from Meredith)
D: Now you're not talking to me.
(eye contact. silence. Derek sighs.)
D: I was a jerk. Sometimes boyfriends can be jerks. It doesn't mean you stop talking to them.
(eye contact. silence.)
D: You get that I'm saying I'm sorry... right?
M: You yelled at me for no reason, and you walked away, and now you show up here.
D: Of course I showed up. Why wouldn't I? You don't trust me?
M: I do.
D: Well, this is how it works. You fight sometimes, and somebody apologizes.
M: Well how am I supposed to know that?
(light bulb appears to go off in Derek's head. a mixture of surprise and understanding.)
D: You've never done this before.
M: No, I've never done this before.
D: Hmm. Okay, alright. Well, this is -- From now on you can expect that I'm gonna show up. Even if I yell, even if you yell. I'm always gonna show up. Okay?
M: Okay.

apparently Meredith had never had a relationship in which she successfully worked through a conflict. she and the guy would fight, and he would take off. that's it. relationship, done. this was the first time a man showed up after a fight. even if i yell, even if you yell. i'm always gonna show up.

i saw this scene, and i cried. i cried and cried and cried. and i cried some more.

there was something in my heart that deeply identified with what was happening here. i have never had this kind of security with an earthly man, yet it is something i've always desired. i've always wanted a man with a kingly heart. a man who will not give up. a man of courage.

if a fictional character who doesn't give a rip about You can get it right, surely the real thing must be that much more amazing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally resonated with the post...

and... as i have been engrossed in grey's these past few weeks, i often find myself in tears along with many of the episodes...

you are awesome. looking forward to hanging out with you in a few weeks!!

Anna said...

Stephanie,
I was reading back through some old blog posts of mine, and I found a comment from you, and traveled over here to your blog. You're right - we should meet. When are you coming to Omaha to visit Sarah next?
Anna

Happy said...

oh, Stephie... resonating. that's the sum-up. :)

i love you - and Amanda's so right about you. :)

.... i imagine a kingly heart takes time to grow into .... as most men are not instantly as wise as King Solomon.... so *i* say - here's to waiting for them to grow into it. and to loving a King who won't settle for anything less than His best for us. (and gets it that locked-up gardens get a little lonely sometimes.)

sarah beth said...

you deserve it. a man with courage. and a kingly heart. one who won't give up on you.

much love, my dear.

I am Stephie, Ninja Warrior. said...

thank you for the kind comments, ladies. you all are so good to me...

amanda, i can't wait for you to get here!

anna, how funny that you just read my comment! i would love to meet you! i'm not sure when i will be in omaha next... i was hoping august, but it seems unlikely now. i will let you know.

happy, i think you are right. and i think you are wise. and we'll talk more soon.

sarah goo, thank you. i miss you, and ian.

Lindsay Blake said...

you just inspired me to start renting grey's. never watched it before but now i must.