September 21, 2008

en route to so-cal.
i left redding at about 6:00am this morning, via extremely small plane where earplugs were distributed on board because of how loud everything was . it was sort of bittersweet leaving. i suppose it has been that way with every place i've visited since i started this trip. i know the good times have to become memories at SOME point, and it's probably good to leave before you are wishing that the good times would become memories, but even so... do you ever think about how sometimes the best part of an experience is the memory of it? like, often times i find myself savoring the sweetness of a moment more after it has passed, rather than while it is happening.

why does that happen? something about it doesn't seem quite right.

i had a layover in the san francisco airport, which is most definitely the poshest airport i've ever been in. at 7am on a sunday morning, all of their fine dining restaurants were open. i had overpriced soup for breakfast, and a piece of white chocolate raspberry mousse cake/pie/something. definitely an atypical breakfast, but somehow, i felt it was the perfect thing to order. in my mind's eye i just had this picture of Jesus sitting across from me at my little table, grinning at me and pleased to no end at my food selection. it made me smile all morning. oh, i love Him. He makes my heart sing like no other.

i got into san diego at about 10am this morning. it really is beautiful here. i've never been here during the winter, but san diego just strikes me as being the definition of summer. the way it looks and smells and sounds, it just has summer written all over it. the last time i was here, it was with Dan, which is sort of strange to think about, but not unpleasant. how much You have done inside of me since then!

i found out a week before i left that Paul would be here in san diego at this time. also strange, being as how we haven't had a real conversation in over a year and a half. who knows? we may have a real conversation here, a thousands miles away from where we typically see (and humorously avoid, sort of) each other. perhaps this is a time for tying up loose ends, and having real fellowship.

lindsay, another omahaian, is also in the city, so we will try and meet up as well. i'm finding that it seems to triple the Adventure Factor when i get to meet up with people that i know from other places in a place that is foreign to us both. i don't know why, but i like it. we should do this more often.

it is so good to see Mary. i miss her company.

1 comment:

Lindsay Blake said...

For some reason, unlike you, I despise turning good times into memories. I think it's because I'm so extreme. I love California therefore I need to stay there. It's simple math for me... although I am trying to take the very real side you are presenting and turning those great moments into great memories... It was awesome seeing you and I hope we can do it again soon. You are great and I hope all the loose ends were tied up... and if not, He will in His time do just that.