September 10, 2008

sleepless in seattle.
i'm not really exaggerating when i say this. i actually AM in seattle, and i am also without sleep. i am pretty much going on about 40 hours of little to no sleep. i didn't mean for this to happen, it just did. my flight left chicago at 5am this morning, which meant i was instructed to be at the airport by 3am, which meant leaving mundelein around 2am. which meant sleep just didn't happen.

my friend steve came over last night and helped me pack military style. it was/is incredible. i fit all of my stuff into carry-on baggage. two weeks' worth, plus my laptop. this probably isn't really that impressive to you, but it would be if you really knew me and have ever had any experience with me visiting a place for longer than a day or two. i have separate bags for shoes, toiletries, and books, not to mention a guitar, a laptop bag, and hanging clothes. it's ridiculous. and what's funny is that i never use half of what i bring, and i'm not really that high maintenance. i guess i just like options, and if i have the room, i will give myself options. but not this time, baby. THIS TIME, i didn't check a bag. getting through security was kind of a drag, having to take out my laptop from my suitcase and then re-situate all my crap... BUT, this is a first for me. i have never NOT checked a bag.

so i've been in seattle all day. i hopped on a bus from the airport to downtown, and a handsome and charming man named Morgan sat next to me. he gave me advice as to what to do while in the seattle area, and where to get off the bus. i'm not sure how i would have fared without Morgan's help this morning, because it is impossible to understand seattle bus drivers on their bus intercoms.

i had lunch with amy binder and her family, which also was hilarious because these are people i only know from chicago, so to meet up with them in a completely different part of the country is just... strange.

i've been hanging out around pike place market for the past couple hours, and will catch a bus to my intended destination tonight. i can't wait. i am so excited about the next two weeks. i feel as though there are new adventures and people for me every day... but also, i feel like this is a retreat. i'm seeing people i know, but mostly it's just You and me, and i am excited about that. i've wanted this for awhile.

zzzzzzzz.

No comments: